- PFC free
- PFC free means, that the water repellant treatment is done without the use of per-flourcarbonated chemicals.
- Recycled Content
Product description by PYUA
Completely water and windproof, as well as breathable, thanks to environmentally friendly CLIMALOOP ™ laminate with perfluorocarbon (PFC) -free impregnation. With asymmetrical, non-continuous 2-way zipper. The 3D Hood adjustment fits the hood perfectly to every head. Inside pocket and goggle pocket with eyeglass cleaning cloth. The side and back waist area protects the particularly sturdy material from abrasion. The port / starboard lettering on the adjustable sleeve ends shows PYUA’s maritime origin.
What we find extraordinary about the approach of PYUA is that they take closing the material loop really seriously. From their choice to only use Polyester, even in the membrane and zippers right through the possibility to recycle their own used product back into new, is one of the most complete and thorough approaches in the industry and has therefore been awarded by us with the highest possible evaluation.
13 / 15
- Certified by:
- Fair Wear Foundation
- There is no single solution for workplace injustice. There are many and at FWF we find that solutions work best when combined. Poor labour conditions can only be solved through multi-faceted solutions. The FWF approach brings together the key components needed for sustainable change. It means companies work step-by-step to improve conditions in their supply chains. It also means cooperation among a slew of stakeholders, and accountability among all of us. When fully executed, the FWF approach means results. FWF restricts its focus to those phases of production where sewing is the main manufacturing process. These are among the most labour-intensive phases of the production process. It is also the stage of production where many labour problems are found, and where effective remedies can positively impact the lives of millions of workers. FWF’s focus means that its staff has advanced and specialised knowledge of industry practice and trends. Focus also enables FWF to concentrate on building strong working relationships with those local and international stakeholders who, themselves, specialise in garments and textiles – a keystone for sustainable change in the industry.
- bluesign® approved fabric
GRV Transparency ToolPYUA - Flow Jacket
- Circular Design integrated in operations, closed loop recycling system in place, collecting worn product via the conventional recycling containers, which can be found everywhere across Europe.
- bluesign® system partner and since 2014 Fair Wear Foundation Member.
- 100% European production: assembly in Estonia and Portugal, considered as low risk countries for social compliance.
- Consequent use of mono-material (Polyester) fit for Circular Economy.
- 60-70% bluesign® approved material, covering comprehensive chemical management.
- Direct contacts and auditing via own staff of production partners in European region, RSL is publicly available.
- Over 10% investment goes into sustainable innovation.
- Engagement in multi stakeholder groups, like Textilbündnis, Higg Index and constant dialogue with consumers.
- The mono- material three layer jacket is made from 100% recycled polyester.
- The CLIMALOOP (TM) laminate contains a polyester membrane.
- Waterproof treatment is PFC free.
- 100 % recyclable through own recycling stream.
- Brand Management
- Brand Commitment
Brand Management for us at GRV means to look at all the issues, which are directly controlled and integrated by the Brand’s Management towards business and supply chain strategy as a whole.
Brand Commitment for us at GRV means to look at the pro-active efforts towards sustainable development on all levels like the % of “sustainable product” lines within the whole portfolio, their investment in life cycle assessments and public reporting, as key indicators of the Brands engagement towards a responsible business.
On this level GRV is looking at product related information, like material content, supply chain and certification. Warranty, reparability and “end of use” advice are also important aspects. At the moment, GRV is looking at selected highlight products from different product lines, which show the special sustainable efforts of the brand.
The CEO of Pyua is dedicated to keep his brand fit for circular economy and drives his (sometimes positively extreme) decisions through the whole process. There is a very knowledgeable product expert in place to guarantee innovation and thorough design to fit this philosophy.less
3rd party audits and certificates
As a relatively small brand it shows a lot of dedication to be bluesign® system partner and a Fair Wear Foundation Member.
Emission Management & Product Transport
The main approach of Pyua is to be fit for Circular Economy by using mono materials (Polyester) and recycled material as much as possible. They have calculated, that this practice saves them 77% CO2 Emissions and 84% energy in comparison to using virgin raw material.less
Even though the fabrics are produced in Asia (Tier 2,3..), all of Pyua’s manufacturing (Tier 1) is done in Europe: Estonia and Portugal.
Environmental & Social Projects
Pyua is involved in local projects, which change every year.
Material Program & Testing
Pyua is currently part of SAC’s Small Medium Enterprise (SME) Brand pilot, which will run for two years. Objective is for all the participants to incorporate Brand Modules and optional Facility Modules of the HIGG index (SAC).less
Pyua knows and manages the chemicals in their supply chain by using a restricted substance list in compliance with bluesign® Standard (Tier 2,3..). Manufacturing in low risk European countries account for social compliance (Tier 1).less
This is Pyua’s very strong point! The use of just Polyester wherever possible and preferable recycled, makes their products fully recyclable. Besides this, Pyua keeps toxic chemical input very low, by using bluesign® materials and reframing from PFC’s. These two aspects are arguably the most important points to look at in functional eco design.less
Pyua’s event booth is a container made entirely from wood, easy to transport and re-usable.
End of Use
Besides working only with Polyester, which is known to be easily recyclable, Pyua follows up with take back system, which feeds back used and unwanted garments into Pyua’s raw material supply. This, of course is still a theoretical concept, since not many Pyua clients are prepared to let go of their product yet. But as a long term vision this approach is exemplary. So when a Pyua garment is thrown into any of the 16’000 textile waste bins in Europe, it comes back to Pyua. Plus, every Pyua dealer has the option to place a recycling container in the shop, which is taken care of by Wenkhaus Gmbh, who has developed a specific Pyua App to find the next container near you. Using an existing and certainly well known collection system, is the most effective way of keeping this valuable resource in the loop, saving energy, CO2 and helps to reduce the need of crude oil for new products.less
Some reporting is done via the Fair Wear Foundation. As a brand this size, standardized reporting is not a key indicator for responsible management.
Life Cycle Assessment
No LCA done so far, but a close look into the environmental footprint of their material choices, especially recycled Polyester.
Share of “environmentally friendlier” products
Pyua applies it’s mono-material “close the loop” concept to all their products. Their strong engagement within the value chain is driving partners towards sustainable business solution with an innovative business model, which allows a fully integrated material cycle. Their product is mostly from recycled materials, contains no PFC’s, and is fully recyclable.less
Share of “socially responsible” products
Pyua produces in low risk countries- Portugal and Estonia. Pyua is a Fair Wear Foundation member since 2014 under the name of Sportsman’s Delight GmbH. The Brand Performance Check of 2016 states that: Pyua meets most of FWFs management system requirements. At 45%, Pyua’s monitoring percentage meets the 40% monitoring threshold required for first-year members.less
Regardless of it’s relatively small size as a company, Pyua invests tirelessly into innovation, which answers to very the difficult requirements of technical products, while staying true to their commitment to Eco Design.less
Common Welfare Investment
Pyua is engaged in mainly two multi-stakeholder initiatives: the German Textil Bündniss and the international SAC by being part of the SME program of the Higg Index.
The very stringent attitude towards all decisions related to CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility), Pyua has the potential to be an exceptional example and a leader in responsible business.
Circular design thanks to mono-material use (Polyester).
The bluesign® approved fabric is made from 100% recycled polyester.
Supply Chain 1,2,3… Tier
Assembly (Tier 1) is in Europe (Portugal), considered as a low risk country, but non the less monitored through the Fair Wear Foundation for social labor conditions. The fabric and the ingredients come from Asia (Tier 2,3..).less
Material & Recycling
The mono-material (the whole jacket is made from polyester) is 100% recyclable.
Social &Environmental Management and Certificates
bluesign® approved fabric for environmental management and Fair Wear Foundation certified for social labor conditions.
Due to an over-viewable product portfolio with very similar types of fabric, Pyua has a very good traceability and transparency.
Chemical Management (PFC’s)
Water, Waste & Energy Management
In addition to function and longevity, this product is distinguished by an extremely energy- and resource-efficient production. New Polyester fibers are usually made from crude oil. With the recycling of Polyester products to a new, qualitatively equivalent Polyester yarn, the energy consumption is only about one-fifth and the CO2 emissions only a quarter as compared to conventional Polyester production.less
Pyua uses recycled Polyester in its face fabrics. It reduces waste production and avoids unnecessary consumption of crude oil. In comparison to virgin Polyester, recycled fabric uses 84% less energy and 77% less CO2.
Vegan- contains no animal product.
Life Cycle Assessments
Pyua Ecorrect Outerwear was founded 2007 by Timo Perschke in Germany. The brand focuses on recycled and recyclable outerwear for skiing and snowboarding. They have 12 employees.